If you’ve been wondering how you can get in the perfect strength training abs workout at home with dumbbells only, we’ve got you covered!
Strength Training for your abs using only a pair of dumbbells can be done at home or anywhere! No gym needed!
Strength training isn’t just for your big muscle groups, in fact the abs need strength training just as much if not more than major muscle groups.
The abs are the connection between the upper and lower body therefore it’s important that you strength train that region on a regular basis.
You don’t need a ton of equipment to get an effective abs workout in and in today’s video I’m going to show you 8 abs exercises plus a corrective movement using a light pair of dumbbells.
For all exercises beginners should aim for 20-30 seconds of work followed by 40 to 30 seconds of rest. Advanced trainees should aim for 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of rest. Aim for 2-3 sets of each movement.
Here’s the exercises we’ve chosen:
1. Iso Reverse Crunches – the iso reverse crunches targets the lower abs as the primary mover. Place a light dumbbell between your feet and bring your lower belly-button area towards your chest.
2. Dumbbell Recliner Press – this is a great total abs movement and provides a real challenge to the core.
3. Dumbbell Russian Twists to Press – once again a great total abs movement but with an emphasis on your obliques. Take your time with these and don’t use too much momentum.
4. Side Plank Statue of Liberty – this is a killer isometric side plank to target your obliques and improve your overall ab stability.
5. Dumbbell Twisting Toe Taps- great movement for obliques and lower abs – and will also help develop more core athleticism.
6. Dumbbell Thread the Needle – this might be the most challenging of all the movements. It will require a ton of core strength to perform this one under control.
7. Dumbbell Bear Crawl – now we move into a more dynamic movement that recruits the whole body. This movement should be done under full control and can also be used as a metabolic cardio movement.
8. Dumbbell Walkout – another dynamic movement here that will challenge the entire body and can be used as both a warm up and as a finisher to the workout.
9. Dumbbell Rollout – this is our corrective movement. A great way to help with lower back, abs, and hamstring health. Throw these in a couple times a week.
These exercises give you a menu of highly effective strength training movements for abs. You can choose 3-4 movements and perform them for 2-3 sets or do all 9 and do 1-2 sets each depending on how much time you have.
Hungry for more home workouts? Wanting a True Transformation for your body? We’ve got you covered. Whether you’re looking for that perfect home workout or some help with your diet and nutrition, check out our latest videos at the links below:
5 Minute Full Body Home Workout (NO GYM Required)
The Best Science Based Diets For Rapid Fat Loss (Meals + Calories)
Subscribe to our channel here for more great content to help you get healthier and fitter: